03-21 December 2022
Finally, after several years, we are returning to Patagonia to cycle along the Carretera Austral through breathtaking Chile and Argentina. And once again, we will be bikepacking without any support vehicles but accompanied by the security of traveling with expert guides and their twenty years’ experience riding these trails.
Starting in Balmaceda, in Chile, we’ll set up our bikes, shop for food, then head south for about 800 km (including navigation) over the course of 11 stages, ending with a day off the bikes at the foot of the majestic Fitz Roy in El Chalten. We start cycling on 4 December to reach El Calafate on 16 December, visiting the unbelievable Perito Moreno glacier the next day.
Epic Patagonian gravel and magnificent trails await us. Let’s ride together!
“As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.”
— Leonardo da Vinci
Of course, for this expedition to be truly successful, it is absolutely necessary to create a strong team spirit amongst all our travelers. No rider will ever be left alone or find themselves individually facing difficulty for any reason. It will be the responsibility not only of the guides, but also of the individual participants to help problem solve throughout the duration of the trip, working together to make the most of our adventure as a team. It will be an unforgettable cycling experience and journey, but also a unique opportunity to educate ourselves on group consciousness and the ability to share—be it joy, fatigue, planning, organization, coordination, defeat or success.
And in this case, success will not be defined as arriving at the final destination but setting off and doing our best to arrive all together.
Why Patagonia via La Carretera Austral? Because Patagonia is not only Argentina—it starts much further north than anyone imagines. Moreover, La Carretera Austral remains a land full of great adventure and wonder.
This is why our team are always hungry to return for more!
The Carretera Austral is there to be lived. Let’s go together and live well!
Refund and cancellation
Where, for whatever reason, one person is obliged to withdraw, the person must give written notice to Project Adventure Cycling.
Refund will be calculated with this penalty:
– Within 45 days from date of departure the penalty fare is 10% of the total cost of the trip.
– Within 30 days from departure the penalty fare is 30% of the total cost of the trip.
– Within 21 days from departure the penalty fare is 50% of the total cost of the trip.
– Within 14 days from departure the penalty fare is 75 % of the total cost of the trip.
– After this date no refund will be given.
There will be no refunds for those who do not show up at the start of the trip or withdraw during the course of the tour.
There will be no refunds for those who are unable to start or complete the tour due to a lack or inaccuracy of personal travel documents (i.e Visa or Passport).
The traveller understands that some destinations pose more of a risk than other destinations due to weather conditions, socio-political situations and the geography of the region. The traveller acknowledges that factors such as, but not limited to, weather conditions, landslides, floods, flight cancellations or delays, strikes, labour issues, power failures, restrictive governmental laws or regulations, riots, insurrection, war or other (hereinafter called “Force Majeure Event”) are not the fault of Project Adventure Cycling and may hinder, delay or even prevent the Traveller’s ability to make or complete the trip. The traveller acknowledges that the Project Adventure Cycling shall not be liable to the traveller for any delay or cancellation of the trip due to a Force Majeure Event. The traveler is neither entitled to a refund nor any other payment for damages from the Project Adventure Cycling in the event that the trip is cancelled or delayed due to a Force Majeure Event. Please note that we are never responsible for any airfare ticket expenses.
In the event that you are unable to fly due to COVID 19 restrictions because of a declared state of emergency, PA Cycling, SL, guarantees:
RETURN OF QUOTE* (Except for expenses incurred up to the time of cancellation of the trip)
QUOTA FREEZE UNTIL NEXT DEPARTURE*.
FEE FREEZE UNTIL THE DEPARTURE OF ANY OTHER TRIP ORGANISED BY PA-CYCLING, SL*.
* The above conditions ARE NOT VALID in the case of a positive individual.
Included + Not Included
The price includes
- Bike guides from PA Cycling (specific number of guides depends on the number of participants)
- Transfer from Balmaceda airport to our Hotel in Coyhaique
- 2 night’s stay in Hotel in Coyhaique (breakfast and welcome dinner included)
- Camping stage 1 and asado al palo
- Navigation: Chile-Chico/Los Antiguos
- Camping and dinner in Chile-Chico
- Hostel in Cochrane (breakfast and dinner included)
- Camping in El Risquero
- Navigation: Lake Yungay
- Hostel in Villa O’Higgins (breakfast and dinner included)
- Navigation: Villa O’Higgins/Candelario Mancilla, Glacier O’Higgins
- Camping Candelario Mancilla
- Navigation: Laguna del Desierto
- Two nights in a hostel in El Chalten
- Transfer El Chalten – El Calafate
- Two nights in a Hostel in El Calafate
- Visit to Perito Moreno
- El Calafate airport transfer
- Travel insurance coverage
The price does not include
- Airfare and baggage fees, bike equipment
- Lunches and dinners in Coyhaique, El Chalten, El Calafate or where not expressly specified
- Food during bike days except where specified
- Excursions, extra activities
- Additional costs in case of logistic modification (transfers and extra nights, etc.)
- Anything not listed in “The price includes” section
- Dates03-21 December 2022
- Duration19 days
- Length800 km
- Elevation10.000 m
- Price2.150 €