October 19 to November 3, 2024
After our first bikepacking group experience in Patagonia, we’ve decided to return to Chile and cycle across the Atacama Desert. After all, the Atacama is a very special place for us—it was here in 2001 that the idea was first born to start our own bike travel agency!
Chile, with its geographic diversity, gives us a good opportunity to visit places like the Andes, the Atacama Desert and the Altiplano lakes while retracing the roots of ancient cultures such as the Atacamaña, Aymaras and Mapuches people.
The Atacama Desert is the driest in the world, protected from humidity on both sides by high mountain ranges with the Andes along the interior and the Coastal Range towards the Pacific Ocean.
Hundreds of years ago, caravans crossed the Atacama Desert, looking for new lands to explore—Now it’s our turn.
We will travel through this remote territory by bike to enjoy the beauty of its geological formations and natural phenomena. We will ride 700 km, starting at sea level and gradually climbing to reach 4,000 meters—our final altitude will be over 4,500 meters!
We will gain altitude progressively to allow ourselves safe, steady acclimatization, camping in the middle of nowhere and in the small villages that we will find along the way.
Of course, for this expedition to be truly successful, it is absolutely necessary to create a strong team spirit amongst all our travelers. No rider will ever be left alone or find themselves individually facing difficulty for any reason. It will be the responsibility not only of the guides, but also of the individual participants to help problem solve throughout the duration of the trip, working together to make the most of our adventure as a team. It will be an unforgettable cycling experience and journey, but also a unique opportunity to educate ourselves on group consciousness and the ability to share—be it joy, fatigue, planning, organization, coordination, defeat or success.
And in this case, success will not be defined as arriving at the final destination but setting off and doing our best to arrive all together.
Before the departure date, we will organize a virtual meeting where we will explain the trip and what kind of equipment our guides will take.
If, for logistical reasons you cannot make it to the meeting, we will contact you via e-mail and you can ask us any questions you may have. A rider list will be made from all the people who want to participate in order to form as homogeneous a group as possible. If you are not selected for this edition, we will notify you when a group with similar characteristics is being formed. To help us make this selection, we have prepared a short questionnaire, located at the end of this trip’s technical sheet. Fill it out and send it to us before you register.
Refund and cancellation
Where, for whatever reason, one person is obliged to withdraw, the person must give written notice to Project Adventure Cycling.
Refund will be calculated with this penalty:
– Within 45 days from date of departure the penalty fare is 30% of the total cost of the trip.
– Within 30 days from departure the penalty fare is 40% of the total cost of the trip.
– Within 21 days from departure the penalty fare is 50% of the total cost of the trip.
– Within 14 days from departure the penalty fare is 75 % of the total cost of the trip.
– After this date no refund will be given.
There will be no refunds for those who do not show up at the start of the trip or withdraw during the course of the tour.
There will be no refunds for those who are unable to start or complete the tour due to a lack or inaccuracy of personal travel documents (i.e Visa or Passport).
The traveller understands that some destinations pose more of a risk than other destinations due to weather conditions, socio-political situations and the geography of the region. The traveller acknowledges that factors such as, but not limited to, weather conditions, landslides, floods, flight cancellations or delays, strikes, labour issues, power failures, restrictive governmental laws or regulations, riots, insurrection, war or other (hereinafter called “Force Majeure Event”) are not the fault of Project Adventure Cycling and may hinder, delay or even prevent the Traveller’s ability to make or complete the trip. The traveller acknowledges that the Project Adventure Cycling shall not be liable to the traveller for any delay or cancellation of the trip due to a Force Majeure Event. The traveler is neither entitled to a refund nor any other payment for damages from the Project Adventure Cycling in the event that the trip is cancelled or delayed due to a Force Majeure Event. Please note that we are never responsible for any airfare ticket expenses.
Included + Not Included
THE PRICE INCLUDE
- PA Cycling bike guides depending on the number of participants
- 2 nights stay in Hotel in Antofagasta
- Stay in hotel in Peine one night with breakfast and dinner included
- Stay in Socaire two nights with breakfast and dinner included
- Luggage transport for the Queen stage
- One night in Toconao
- Stay in hotel in San Pedro de Atacama the last two nights
- Entrance to the Valle de la Luna
- Transfer from Antofagasta airport (as in the program)
- Transfer to Calama airport (as in the program)
- Travel insurance coverage
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Airfare and baggage fees, bike equipment
- Lunch and dinner at Antofagasta and San Pedro de Atacama
- LunchES at Peine and Socaire
- Dinner in Toconao
- Board and lodging during cycling days except Peine, Socaire and Toconao
- Additional costs in case of logistic modification (transfers and extra nights’, etc.)
- Anything not included in “The price includes” section
- DatesOctober 19 to November 3, 2024
- Duration16 days
- Length700 km
- Elevation10.000 m
- Price2.450 €